We all know that you only get one chance to make a first impression. Whether it’s a job interview, an important meeting, or a first date, most of us like to make an effort with our appearance when we’re meeting someone for the first time. Which is why there are so many teeth whitening products on the market.
Most of us take care of our teeth by brushing regularly and flossing but often that isn’t enough to keep your teeth gleaming white. Teeth whitening products can give you that extra shine that you need in between trips to the Dentist. So, how do you know which type of teeth whitening kit is the best for you?
What Are Teeth Whitening Strips?
Teeth Whitening strips are made from polyethylene, which is a type of light plastic. The strips are coated with peroxide which takes out all the color in the teeth to leave you with your original pearly whites. You can have the strips applied by your Dentist, or you can do it yourself at home, which is, of course, the less expensive option.
WebMd.com suggests that even if you decide to apply whitening strips yourself, you should visit your Dentist first to make sure you don’t have any other underlying mouth problems. Choose your brand of whitening strips carefully as some contain more peroxide than others. And some are better quality than others.
The strips come in two parts, one for the top teeth and one for the bottom. Make sure that you follow the instructions carefully as some brands recommend you take the strips off after a certain amount of times, but others don’t. We recommend doing a test first to make sure you aren’t allergic to anything in the product.
The main advantage of teeth whitening strips are that they’re easy to apply, can be very cost effective, and are something you can do at home as many times as you like.
What Are the Different Types of Teeth Whitening Kits?
There are three main types of teeth whitening kits.
- LED light kits – These are the least effective type and results tend to fade very quickly. Your teeth are subjected to “blasts” of LED light
- Charcoal Based Kits – A charcoal-based toothpaste is used to scrape color from the teeth
- Bleach Based Kits – These kits use trays to soak your teeth in peroxide
How to Whiten Teeth Naturally
If the idea of using chemicals or strips doesn’t appeal to you there are natural methods you can try. Brushing your teeth with baking soda can be effective but its something you have to keep doing to achieve any long-term results.
Rinsing your mouth with apple cider vinegar can also whiten teeth, however this is not something you should do every day as it can also soften teeth. Even if they’re gleaming white, soft teeth are not going to be much use for long.
Some celebrities swear by using a mixture of strawberries and baking soda to whiten teeth and I would imagine your breath would smell nice as well.
Which Is the Best Teeth Whitening Solution?
Business Insider conducted research in late December 2017 to find the best teeth whitening kit. Here’s what they found:
- Active Wow Teeth Whitening Charcoal Powder Natural. At a cost of around $30 this product is very easy to use. You dip a wet toothbrush into the powder and brush your teeth. It’s that simple. You only need a little product on you brush so one tub is going to last you quite some time.
- Crest 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips. $35.99 may seem expensive but when you consider this gets you 20 applications of Whitestrips, it’s actually very good value for money. The strips are to be worn for 30 minutes every day and according to reviews, produces results quickly.
- Utilax Advanced Teeth Whitening Strips Kit. This is the kit you want if your budget is a bit limited. It produces good results after only one application and doesn’t contain peroxide.
- GLO Science Brilliant Personal Teeth Whitening Device. This is the crème de la crème of teeth whitening kits and the price, $199 reflects that. It comes with a USB power plug and charging dock, 10 vials of whitening gel, a mouthpiece, controller, case, lip balm and travel bag. Reviews state that this kit does its job well, as you would expect with that price tag.
Whichever product you choose to whiten your teeth, please follow all instructions carefully and do your research. As the above results show, the dearest product isn’t always the best one.